The original Async CTP from PDC 10 brought asynchronous programming to C# and Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2010. This refresh introduces the following:
- Compatible with Visual Studio 2010 SP1, which is now required.
- Compatible with non-English installations of Visual Studio and with Visual Studio Express.
- Enables asynchronous development for Windows Phone 7.
- Includes various bug-fixes and changes, detailed in the Readme and documentation.
- Includes a new EULA for production use. Note - This license does not constitute encouragement for you to use the CTP for your production code. The CTP remains an unsupported and use-at-your-own-risk Technology Preview. However, we’ve received many requests from developers to use the CTP for production code, and so have changed the license to allow that.
- Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003;Windows Server 2008;Windows Vista;Windows XP
- Click the Download button to start the download.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.
- If you have the previous Async CTP on your machine, uninstall it first. (Go to ControlPanel > Uninstall a program > View installed updates. Search for updates with "Async" in their names, and uninstall all of them.)
- If you want to do phone development, install Windows Phone Developer Tools. If you’re using Windows Phone Developer Tools RTM version and Visual Basic, you should also install Visual Basic for Windows Phone Developer Tools (this will not be required with the next version of Windows Phone Developers tools).
- Install Visual Studio 2010 SP1. (Note: You must install Visual Studio 2010 SP1 after the phone tools. If you installed Windows Phone Developer Tools after SP1, you’ll need to reinstall SP1
Download and Installation
Follow these three steps, in order, to prepare your computer for the CTP:
1. If you have the previous Async CTP on your computer, uninstall it first. To do this, go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program > View installed updates, search for the two updates with “Async” in their names, and uninstall both of them.
2. If you want to do Windows Phone 7 development, install the Windows Phone Developer Tools. If you are using Visual Basic, also install Visual Basic for Windows Phone Developer Tools.
3. Install Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1. You must install the service pack after you install the Windows Phone Developer Tools. If you installed Windows Phone Developer Tools after installing the service pack, you’ll need to reinstall the service pack.
Once you have completed the steps above, download and install the Visual Studio Async CTP (SP1 Refresh).